Friday, May 11, 2012

Hi, I'm Ron and I'll be your guest blogger today. For those of you who know Monique, you know that she cannot suppress a smile when she see's animals of different species bonding, seemingly enjoying each others company and just getting along. No judgments, just acceptance. And I know there are millions of others out there who also enjoy seeing animals being buddies. Today I saw a video on CNN about a dog and a goat that are best friends. Now Bishop, (AKA goatboy) our oldest rescue English Bulldog believes he is a goat or perhaps is simply channeling his inner goatness when he climbs on tables (notice the proud somewhat smug look on his face) or kitchen islands. But to my knowledge, he does not consort with Goats. On a side note, I can also state that Bishop only climbs the island when I am home.If Monique is home, neither of us dare climb the island. You may also note that, although Bishop may be happily snoozing on the island in the picture below, the white meatloaf known as Big Tuna, standing on the floor, is not.

I too am fascinated by these relationships and wonder what needs are being met, if any. Sure, I'm mindful that the dog would probably eat the goat in other circumstances. Or as Woody Allen stated in one of his proverbs: The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep." Ah, the Woodman. Understood. But it still charges my batteries when I see these unlikely goombahs spending time together.

If you are interested in these uplifting stories, I'd recommend picking up a copy of "Unlikely friendships - 47 remarkable stories from the animal kingdom" by Jennifer S. Holland. The book profiles strange couplings such as "the monkeys and the capybaras", the Orangutan babies and the Tiger cubs and of course, my personal favorite, Owen and Mzee, the Tortoise and the Hippo. How strange are these couples? More so than Felix and Oscar but with just as much love I suspect.  I find myself wondering if humans will ever get to this point, to simply leave all the noise behind and simply accept.
Perhaps one day.
Who knows why these animals form these bonds or even why people form the strong bonds that they do with their dogs and cats. People look at my bulldogs and see two fat, flatulent dogs that resemble large meat loaves. I proudly look at my two bulldogs and see two fat flatulent bullies that resemble large meat loaves. But I love them dearly! So if you find yourself in a special relationship, be it two legged or four, don't take it for granted, don't question why there is a bond. Just acceptance and bask in it and consider yourself lucky.

Keep your pets healthy and safe and Keep Wagging everybody!
At least I think that is how Monique signs off.
Ron

No comments: