Wednesday, March 14, 2012

To Purchase Pet Insurance Or Not. That Is The Question

Our Beloved Bishop
I read an article the other day about the growing popularity of pet insurance and naturally, I like to read the comments that some people make. Generally the comments that get my ire are those that are misinformed or in general have no experience with what they are discussing. To wit, those who think pet insurance is unnecessary or worst case, that it is a rip off. I can tell you it is neither. My first rescue dog had to have not one, but two knee surgeries within a short period of time. And I thank my collective gods that I had insurance (and they covered the surgeries) because I would still be paying off those two rebuilt knees. 

What do you need to know about pet insurance? First, ask a lot of questions. As with insuring humans, there are generally levels of coverage that can be added which can drive up the cost of coverage. And the percentages that are covered vary as well. Keep in mind that some pure breeds and hence, genetic pre-dispositions, may not be covered with some insurance companies but others will cover for an extra fee. Why do pure breeds have more issues you ask? There'll be more on this in a future blog. Trust me.

In short, do your homework and compare policies. And now you have more choices. When we had our first dog, if I recall correctly, there were only two companies offering coverage. Today there are eleven providing varying levels of coverage for your pet. If you can afford it, I would urge you to strongly consider getting insurance for your pet. 

Take a moment to watch the video below:

Keep Wagging everyone!

No comments: