Friday, March 16, 2012

Heat stroke in dogs

Okay, I know I may sound like a broken record but until I stop reading headlines like the one below, I'm not going to shut up. 

I caught a headline that Jeremy Renner, a talented actor, lost his 8 month old puppy who died of heatstroke (or at least sounds like he did). 
My condolences to Mr. Renner on the loss of his bully.  Jeremy Renner had a friend watching his 8 month old Franklin and there's no easy way to say this. There were some bad decisions made. First, a very young dog, regardless of breed, was brought out to a field at what is arguably the hottest point in the day. Second, he was a French Bulldog. Smoosh faced dogs are notorious for overheating - it's way too difficult for them to cool down because physically, they are simply not built to withstand heat. 



You can read the heartbreaking article here:
http://www.eonline.com/news/jeremy_renner_mourns_death_of_his/301619


I totally understand that people want to share their lives and activities with their four legged family members. I absolutely, totally get it. We want to take Bishop and Big Tuna every where but unfortunately, they are bulldogs. They would die in about ten minutes out here in the heat in South Florida so their exposure to the elements are limited. 


What pains me most is that this scenario is totally avoidable. 


I know what it's like to lose a four legged kid. I've already lost too many to old age and disease. I can't image what it is like to lose a family member in a situation that can be controlled. I feel badly for Jeremy Renner and anyone else who loses a pet in a scenario that could have easily been avoided.

On a side note, I'm not sure if anyone else picked up on this but it sounds like the dog sitter actually left the dog (hopefully with someone trusted) to get a snack. Sort of like a human baby sitting leaving the baby to grab something while a friend covers for him. If I'm having someone watch my dog, they damn well better watch the dog. I've trusted them with a life that is important to me.  

To reiterate, puppies do not belong out in the heat. If you must have your dog outside and it's hot, you must have water and shelter. And access to a pool or pond. You simply must.  One bit of advice. If you choose someone to watch your dogs, make sure they know what they're doing. Either they are a trained technician, dog walker/baby sitter or someone who understands basic safety issues. This is utterly heartbreaking to me and a very very painful lesson.


Keep your dogs safe,

Monique

No comments: