Monday, November 30, 2009

Sick dogs and cats, Pt. 1

One comment I hear from our clients is that they don't know if their dog or cat is sick. I generally remind them that any behavior that is out of the ordinary for their animal can be an indication that something is wrong.

I will review the signs that I see/hear about most often and almost all of them I have observed in my animals.

One of the most common signs is when an animal loses its appetite. This is usually the first time that owners will notice that something is amiss. As I mentioned earlier, when a routine differs, this will indicate an issue. For example, our oldest bully gets fed one cup in the morning, one at night. Several times in the last month he looks at his food, sniffs it, then walks away. And we know that his stomach is upset: typically he gets into something outside and eats it upsetting that tender bully gastrointestinal track. Feed your pets at regular time frames, maintain that consistency and it will be easier to spot a problem earlier.

Sometimes running parallel with the loss of appetite is a less active than normal pet. When Bishop's stomach bothers him, he is also a bit subdued and not his normal effervescent upbeat bull. Again, when he is quiet, we start looking a little closer. Try not to confuse this with a dog that is simply getting older when they naturally become less active.

No comments: